- Promote optimal food habits and nutritional status of the population with special emphasis on children through direction and leadership for quality practice, education, and research.
- Promote professional competence in the delivery of nutrition services to children through quality assurance and support of educational programs.
- Promote and support nutrition education in the school community.
- Support legislation that influences the effective delivery of nutrition services to children.
SNS DPG MEMBERSHIP
… is available to all members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, regardless of membership classification or employment status. The School Nutrition Services Dietetic Practice Group has over 1200 members working in school districts, federal and state agencies, business and industry, and colleges and universities.
Through dietetic practice groups, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics members are able to interact with colleagues in the same area of practice or interest, receive practice-related references, newsletters and publications, obtain scholarships, and participate in continuing education programs.
What SNS DPG members receive:
Web page with current happenings of the DPG www.snsdpg.org
- Continuing professional education units through science-based webinars for members and student members.
- Nutrition Link, an informative newsletter published quarterly which features original educational articles, news of interest to child nutrition professionals, and DPG events.
- Continuing professional education units and networking opportunities at Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the School Nutrition Association (SNA) annual national meetings, state meetings, and SNS DPG sponsored meetings and workshops.
- Membership directory for networking with food service and child nutrition professionals throughout the country.
- Pride in nominating DPG members for Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics awards and/or recognition.
- Opportunities to contribute to the Frances Carr Parker endowment fund designed for the sole purpose of enhancing the dietetic profession through a graduate scholarship for a selected DPG member.
SOME SNS DPG ACTIVITIES
- Engages in activities that reflect a positive image of School nutrition professionals.
- Provides endowment funding for the Frances Carr Parker graduate scholarship granted to a member of SNS DPG.
- Provides expertise and information in the development and review of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics position papers related to child nutrition and the management of school nutrition programs.
- Participates in Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics legislative activities.
- Sponsors seminars and workshops for continuing education at Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and SNA annual national meetings and state affiliate meetings, and provides speakers for other professional meetings such as the annual meeting of the Association of School Business Officials International.
SNS DPG is a Career Resource
If you are an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics member interested in a new career that will provide you with an avenue for enhancing the lives of children or a parent (dietitian) looking for ways to work with your local school district, SNS DPG is an excellent resource and networking opportunity.
Past Chairs of School Nutrition Services DPG
School Nutrition Services, (formerly School Nutrition Food Services, and School Food Service):
Lucille B. Barnette, RD, 1977-79
Ruth B. Moskowitz, RD, 1979-80
Joann Styer, RD, 1980-81
Ethel G. Ott, RD, 1981-82
Frances E. McGlone, RD, 1982-83
Connie Hardesty, RD, 1983-84
Penny E. McConnell, RD, 1984-85
Frances C. Parker, MS, RD, LDN, 1985-86
Monya H. Geller, RD, 1986-87
Elaine Agee*, RD, 1987-88
Dorothy I. Pond-Smith, PhD, RD, CD, 1988-89
Josephine Martin, PhD, RD, LD, 1989-90
Betty Bender, MS, RD, 1990-91
Beverly M. Lowe, RD, 1991-92
Nancy Cecil, MS, RD, 1992-93
Nancy J. Kennon, MS, RD, LDN, 1993-94
Hope P. Ponce, RD, 1994-96
Bettie Sue Greig, MS, RD, LD, 1996-97
Tami J. Cline, MS, RD, 1997-98
Clare H. Miller, MS, RD, 1998-99
Karen Kettlewell, MS, RD, 1999-00
Vivian B. Pilant, MS, RD, 2000-01
Cathy Reed, MS, RD, LD, 2001-02
Martha T. Conklin, PhD, RD, 2002-03
Beverly L Girard, MBA, MS, RD, 2003-04
Ruth Gordon, MEd, RD, LD, 2004-05
Linda B. Godfrey, MS, RD, LD, 2005-06
Kathleen Glindmeier, MBA, RD, 2006-07
Beth Thorson, MS, RD, 2007-08
Teresa Nece, MS, RD, LD, 2008-09
Mary Kay Meyer, PhD, RD, 2009-10
Dayle Hayes, MS, RD, LD, 2010-11
Connie Mueller, MS, RD, SNS, 2011-12
Diane Duncan-Goldsmith, MS, RD, LD, 2012-2013
June Barrett, MEd, RD, LD, SNS, 2013-14
Alice Jo Rainvlle, PhD, RD, CHE, SNS, FAND, 2014-15
Julie Skolmowski, MPH, RD, SNS, 2015-16